As the winter winds begin to howl and the rain and snow begins to fall, many homeowners in Columbus, Ga are putting the final touches on winterizing their homes. From heaters for outdoor water pipes, to purchasing a generator, there are many ways that a home can be properly outfitted for the harsh winter months.
Did you know that one of the areas that are most often overlooked for winter maintenance is the garage doors? Proper garage door maintenance helps to prolong the longevity of your garage doors, as well as helping to keep your home safe and dry when the winter winds start to blow.
A few DIY garage door winter maintenance tips:
- Clean the exterior of the garage doors with a mixture of household cleaning products. Removing debris and build-up from the exterior of the doors will help to eliminate damage from rust and clogged hinges.
- Clean the weather stripping at the bottom of the garage door. As you clean the weather stripping, be sure to check for cracks, tears, missing pieces, and places where the stripping may not be securely attached. A garage door’s weather stripping helps to keep your garage dry and the winter elements out.
- Check and clean garage door windows. Damaged windows should be replaced. The sealing around all windows should be checked for cracks, and should be replaced before rain and snow can cause damage to the window frame or the interior of your garage.
- Evaluate the moving parts of the garage door. Use a cloth to remove grease build-up on the track(s) and rollers. Grease build-up can cause unnecessary wear and tear on the opening and closing mechanisms of the garage door. For your safety, never attempt to adjust the cables or torsion springs on your own. The latter parts are responsible for the opening and closing of the garage door, as such improperly adjusting the tension or position can cause the garage door to malfunction, which can potentially cause bodily harm. Finally, make sure that the garage door sensors are properly lined up, and that stored objects remain clear of the sensors.
- Be sure to check remote control batteries. When it comes to garage doors there is nothing quite as frustrating as owning a remote control garage door opener, only to have the batteries die when you need them most.
By following these five simple tips you can ensure that your garage is properly winterized and that its contents remain protected for the harsh weather months to come. Columbus Georgia is expecting a harsher than normal winter, so make sure your Columbus Georgia Garage Doors are prepared.